ISBN ( International Standard Book Number) refers to international standard number for non-serial publications.
ISSN (International Standard Serial Number) refers to international standard number for serial publications.
A present of these two numbers means the publication has been registered in international ISBN or ISSN organization, and the publication has met the international standard. The background information of the publication can be obtained through checking with the numbers, and therefore the confidence the readers have for the publisher can be reinforced.
Application of ISBN
Applicable Range of ISBN :
10 book numbers can be acquired for one ISBN application. They are applicable for books, brochures, microcopies, educational TV programs or movies, mixed-media publications, microcomputer software, maps and electronic publications.
Documents Needed for ISBN Application :
1. Copies of business registration certificate of approved Hong Kong publisher registered and copies of applicant's identity card or passport;
2. Valid address in Hong Kong ;
3. 5 to 7 copies of the book must be submitted to concerned authorities for filing and registration after it is published.
The period of time required for ISBN application :
approximately 7 working days.
Application of ISSN
Applicable range of ISSN :
one international standard serial number can be acquired in one ISSN application, applicable for newspapers and magazines.
Documents Needed for ISSN Application :
1. Copies of applicant's identity card or passport, and business registration certificates are required for corporate applicant;
2. Front and back covers, as well as the page of the content table of the publication to be printed;
3. 3 to 4 copies of the publication must be submitted to concerned authorities for filing after it is published.
The period of time required for ISSN application :
approximately 18 working days.